WALT: Use clues in text, along with prior knowledge to help comprehension.
1. What is the difference between seawater and freshwater?
Seawater has salt in it and freshwater has no salt in it.
2. Why don’t nga manawa grow in the South Island of New Zealand?
Because it is too cold.
3. Describe what a mangrove plant does to breath?
The plants send up tall roots breathing roots into the air so they can breath oxygen.
4. List 4 animals that like to live in mangrove forests
Tuna,Tio,Patiki and Tamure.
5. Why else are mangrove plants useful? List 2 other reasons from pages 16 and 18. To protect the land from poison and they also prevent waves washing away.
6. How did the mangrove leaves help keep fish cool?
Because when the leaves white it reflects the sun to somewhere else.
7. Find an image of a Maori walking stick and insert the picture here (we aren’t sharing or publishing this so it doesn’t have to be labeled for reuse)
8. Why are nga manawa thought to be taonga?Because it is what the Maori people eat sometimes.
This is a Maori Walking Stick.